Amateur Radio License Testing
ARRL Volunteer Examiner testing for all Amateur Radio License Exams is provided by the West Palm Beach Amateur Radio Group. Test dates vary but are held every month. Special test sessions are also held at the completion of Licensing Classes. There will be a team of at least 3 ARRL Certified Volunteer Examiners administering the tests.
The tests are all multiple choice and drawn from the approved question pool. Technician and General Tests have 35 questions and the Extra Test has 50 questions. These exams have all been approved by the FCC recognized National Conference of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators. After you pass it takes about 5-8 week days for your results to be listed on the FCC website with your new call sign or upgraded privileges.
Our regular ARRL Exam Sessions are held the first Saturday of the month
at the South Florida Science Museum at 1:00 PM.
Testing rooms vary, so come to the Ham Radio Center in the Museum and we will direct you to the room being used.
What to bring with you
- A Legal Photo ID. (Driver's License or Passport) If not available see below. *
- Social Security Card or something with your SSN on it or an FCC issued FRN.
- CSCE if you have one from a recent test or if you already have an Amateur Radio License bring a copy of it.
- Calculator (battery operated). If it is a programmable calculator all memories must be cleared before the test.
- A pen to fill out the FCC 605 Form.
- Two #2 pencils with erasers to fill out the test answer sheets.
- ARRL Test Fee of $15.00 in cash, check or money order.(If you come close and do not pass you may retake the test immediately but this requires another test fee.)
- * If no photo ID is available bring two of the following
- Non-photo Legal ID
- Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- Social Security Card
- Library Card
- Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it will appear on
the FCC Form 605.